Here is the transliteration, translation and meaning of surah 53 19-23. The name of surah 53 is Surah Najm, it has 62 verses.
Surah 53 19-23 In Arabic Text
- أَفَرَأَيْتُمُ اللاَّتَ وَالْعُزَّى.
- وَمَنَاةَ الثَّالِثَةَ الأُخْرَى.
- أَلَكُمُ الذَّكَرُ وَلَهُ الأُنثَى.
- تِلْكَ إِذًا قِسْمَةٌ ضِيزَى.
- إِنْ هِيَ إِلاَّ أَسْمَاء سَمَّيْتُمُوهَا أَنتُمْ وَآبَاؤُكُم مَّا أَنزَلَ اللَّهُ بِهَا مِن سُلْطَانٍ إِن يَتَّبِعُونَ إِلاَّ الظَّنَّ وَمَا تَهْوَى الأَنفُسُ وَلَقَدْ جَاءَهُم مِّن رَّبِّهِمُ الْهُدَى
Surah 53 verses 19-23 Transliteration
- 19. Afara’aytumul laata wal ‘uzzaa
- 20. Wa manaatas saalisatal ukhraa
- 21. A-lakumuz zakaru wa lahul unsaa
- 22. Tilka izan qismatun deezaa
- 23. In hiya illaaa asmaaa’un sammaitumoohaaa antum wa aabaaa’ukum maaa anzalal laahu bihaa min sultaan; inyyattabi’oona illaz zanna wa maa tahwal anfusu wa laqad jaaa’ahum mir Rabbihimul hudaa.
Surah 53 19-23 Translation In English
- 19. Have you thought about al-Lat and al-‘Uzza,
- 20. And Manat, the third and last?
- 21. Do you choose males for yourselves and for Him females?
- 22. That is indeed an unfair division.
- 23. They are no more than names you have named, you and your forefathers, for which Allah has not sent down any authority. They follow nothing but conjecture and what their own selves desire, although guidance has come to them from their Lord.
Commentary And Explanation
Having commended what Muhammad SAW brought of guidance, true religion and the command to worship Allah and affirm His oneness.
Allah now mentions the falseness of what the polytheists did of worshipping that which did not possess any attributes of perfection at all and had no power to bring benefit or cause harm; rather they were mere names, devoid of meaning, that the polytheists and their ignorant, misguided forefathers had made up.
These were unreal names that the idols did not deserve, and by giving them these names, they deceived themselves and other misguided people. Gods such as these are not deserving of even an atom’s weight of worship.
They called these idols by these names, claiming that they were derived from characteristics that they possessed.
So the name of al-Lat was derived from the word al-ilah, meaning that which is deserving of worship; the name of al-‘Uzza was derived from the word ‘azeez (mighty), and the name of Manat was derived from the word al-mannan (bestower of blessings).
This was a profane distortion of the names of Allah, and a way of associating others with Him.
But these names were devoid of meaning, because anyone who possesses the slightest reasoning will realise that these attributes are not applicable to these idols.
Do you choose males for yourselves and for Him females?
In other words, do you ascribe daughters to Allah, as you claim, and want sons for yourselves?
That is indeed an unfair division for what unfairness can be greater than a division that implicitly gives precedence to the created slave over his Creator?
Exalted be Allah far above what they say.
They are no more than names you have named, you and your forefathers, for which Allah has not sent down any authority that is, there is no proof or evidence for the soundness of your view.
Anything for which Allah did not send down any authority is false and corrupt, and is not to be taken as religion.
They themselves were not following any proof to give them certainty about what they believed.
Rather what led them to that corrupt belief was conjecture and sheer ignorance, and their own inclination towards polytheism and innovation that was in accordance with their whims and desires.
In fact there was nothing to make them follow conjecture, such as lacking access to knowledge and guidance.
Therefore Allah said: although guidance has come to them from their Lord that is, guidance that shows them the way to affirmation of Allah’s oneness and to prophethood, and to all that people need.
Allah has explained all of that in the most perfect and clearest manner, and has established evidence and proof against them that require them and others to follow it.
So no one has any excuse or argument, after there has come clear explanation and proof.
As for what they follow, all that they base it on is conjecture, and it will ultimately lead to eternal misery and punishment.
So continuing on this path is the utmost foolishness and worst wrongdoing. Yet despite that they still indulged in wishful thinking and deceived themselves.