Our entire life is in submission to the way of Islam. One of the most brilliant aspects of the Islamic moral system is that it did not neglect single aspects of our life without setting out the laws for it. Even how we sit and how we sit among our brethren.
Here is Dua after gathering with translation, Arabic text, transliteration and explanation.
Dua After Gathering In Arabic
سُبْحـانَكَ اللّهُـمَّ وَبِحَمدِك، أَشْهَـدُ أَنْ لا إِلهَ إِلاّ أَنْتَ أَسْتَغْفِرُكَ وَأَتوبُ إِلَـيْك
Subhanaka Allahumma wabihamdika, ashhadu allailaha illa anta, astaghfiruka wa atuubu ilayka.
Dua After Gathering With Translation
The translation of Dua after leaving a gathering is Glory is to You, O Allah, and praise is to You. I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but You. I seek Your forgiveness and repent to You.
Starting the good things with dua, it is then equally important to end it with dua. This dua is recited after a gathering or a majlis (a gathering by a group of people to talk or discuss something) that has a purpose and is expected to reap a specific benefit or goal.
For this reason, it is recommended that you should says this supplication after a sitting involving much idle talk.
Narrated AbuBarzah al-Aslami: When the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) intended to get up from the assembly he used to say in the last.
Glory be to Thee. O Allah, and I begin with praise of Thee, I testify that there is no god but Thou; I ask Thy pardon, and return to Thee in repentance.
The man asked: Messenger of Allah! you utter the words now which you did not do in the past? He replied: (This is an) atonement for what takes place in the assembly.
Source: Sunan Abi Dawud 4859
Dua At The End of Gathering Explanation
In the hadeeth of Aboo Barzah, may Allah be pleased with him, is evidence that the Prophet SAW used to practice that. He also explained that this is an expiation for sins committed in assemblies (Kaffaratul Majlis).
A man hardly sits in a gathering without indulging in a form of useless talk, amusement or waste of time. It is thus good that one says this supplication every time he gets up from an assembly:
‘Subhanaka Allahumma wabihamdika, ashhadu allailaha illa anta, astaghfiruka wa atuubu ilayka‘ so that it serves as expiation for sins committed during the assembly.
There is a lot of benefits of reciting the Duas of our beloved prophet among them is you will be forgiven for (the sins you may have intentionally or unintentionally committed) in that assembly.
Moral lesson and Etiquette of gathering in Islam
Our entire life is in submission to the way of Islam, Quran and Sunnah tell us how to behave in interactions with others, and inform us how to conduct our gatherings, so it is
essential for us to know the manners and etiquette for gatherings.
- Asking for permission: Before entering any place or any gathering one should ask for
- permission “Permission should ask for three times; if you were given permission (then enter). Otherwise, go back.
- Salam while entering and leaving from gathering: Salam should be said both when joining and leaving a gathering or meeting, both are important and essential.
- Making room for one another: If some people are sitting in an assembly, and more people arrive, accommodate the new-comers with an open heart.
- Asking someone to give up their place: It is not right to ask someone to give up their space for you or for anyone else.
- Don’t hold the space for someone who is coming late
- Newcomers to sit at the first place available: newcomer should sit to the first place available for them.
- It is not permissible for anyone to sit between two people who are sitting side by side
- without their permission, except if they allow and make room for the newcomer.
- Don’t sit in the middle of a circle.
- Don’t talk secretively in the gatherings: When two individuals talk to each other while ignoring the third person in their company, it causes uneasiness and grief to the third person, so it’s not appropriate to talk secretively in the gatherings. The true believers, when they talk secretly together, do not talk of sin and transgression, if they have to talk secretly together they should talk of goodness and piety.
- Remembrance of Allah: A Gathering in which there is neither remembrance of Allah nor sending of peace and blessings upon the Prophet (PBUH), remains without the mercy of Allah.
- Supplication when the gathering is over.
- Attend gatherings as clean as possible.
- Forbidding evil: One must forbid every evil that he witnesses in front of him. This is because stopping evil, like ordering what is good, is a responsibility upon every Muslim.
- Refrain from sitting in the pathways.
- Always try to be in a good company: One of the most important things we must do is that we should avoid bad company.
- Conversation: always hold a decent conversation, with back-and-forth dialogue.
- Never control a discussion and don’t be rude.
- Be on time: No one likes to wait for others who are habitually late.