Surah al Bayyinah In English means The Clear Proof or Evidence. It is the 98th Surah of the Qur’an and has only eight verse. The Surah is so designated after the word al bayyinah appearing at the end of the first verse.
Surah Al Bayyinah In English Translation
- Those who disbelieve among the People of the Book and among the polytheists were not going to desist from disbelief [or so they claimed] until there came to them clear proof.
- A Messenger from Allah, reciting pure pages.
- On which there were texts of unerring soundness [the Qur’an].
- Yet those who were given the Book did not flee from the truth except after clear proof came to them.
- Although they were enjoined only to worship Allah with sincere devotion to Him, being true in faith to Him alone, and to establish prayer and give zakah, and that is the true religion.
- Verily those who disbelieve among the People of the Book and among the polytheists will be in the fire of hell, to abide therein forever. It is they who are the worst of people.
- Verily those who believe and do righteous deeds, it is they who are the best of people.
- Their reward with their Lord is gardens of perpetual abode through which rivers flow, to abide therein forever and ever. Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. That is for those who fear their Lord.
Surah Bayyinah English Transliteration
- Lam ya kunil lazeena kafaru min ahlil kitaabi wal mushri keena mun fak keena hattaa ta’tiya humul bayyinah.
- Rasulum minal laahi yatlu suhufam mutahharah.
- Feeha kutubun qaiyimah.
- Wa maa tafarraqal lazeena utul kitaaba illa mim b’adi ma jaa at humul baiyyinah.
- Wa maa umiroo illa liyabu dul laaha mukhliseena lahud deena huna faa-a wa yuqeemus salaahta wa yu-tuz zakaata; wa zaalika deenul qaiyimah.
- Innal lazeena kafaru min ahlil kitaabi wal mushri keena fee nari jahan nama khaali deena feeha; ulaa-ika hum shar rul ba reeyah.
- Innal lazeena aamanu wa ‘amilus saalihaati ula-ika hum khairul bareey yah.
- Jazaa-uhum inda rabbihim jan naatu ‘adnin tajree min tahtihal an haaru khalideena feeha abada; radiy-yallaahu ‘anhum wa ra du ‘an zaalika liman khashiya rabbah.
Surah Bayyinah In Arabic Text
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
لَمْ يَكُنِ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ وَالْمُشْرِكِينَ مُنفَكِّينَ حَتَّى تَأْتِيَهُمُ الْبَيِّنَةُ (١) رَسُولٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ يَتْلُو صُحُفًا مُّطَهَّرَةً (٢) فِيهَا كُتُبٌ قَيِّمَةٌ (٣) وَمَا تَفَرَّقَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ إِلاَّ مِن بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَتْهُمُ الْبَيِّنَةُ (٤) وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلاَّ لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاء وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَذَلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ (٥) إِنَّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ وَالْمُشْرِكِينَ فِي نَارِ جَهَنَّمَ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أُوْلَئِكَ هُمْ شَرُّ الْبَرِيَّةِ (٦) إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُوْلَئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ (٧) جَزَاؤُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ جَنَّاتُ عَدْنٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ ذَلِكَ لِمَنْ خَشِيَ رَبَّهُ (٨).
Download or stream surah Al bayyinah from scholars around the world here.
Summary Of Surah Bayyinah
Tafseer Or Meaning Of Surah Al Bayyinah
First verse meaning
Those who disbelieve among the People of the Book: namely the Jews and Christians.
And among the polytheists: of all other nations. Were not going to desist from disbelief: and the misguidance that they were following.
In other words, they would continue and persist in their misguidance, and the passage of time would only increase them in disbelief.
Or so they claimed: until there came to them clear proof.
Then Allah explains what that clear proof is, as He says in the second verse:
A Messenger from Allah, whom Allah sent to call the people to the truth, and revealed to him a Book that they might read, so that the people might leam wisdom.
And so that he might purify them and lead them forth from the depths of darkness to the light.
Hence He says:
Reciting pure pages that are protected from the devils approaching them, and which no one may touch except the purified, for they are the most sublime of words.
Hence Allah says: on which, that is, on those pages there were texts of unerring soundness that is, true stories and just commands that guide to truth and to the straight path.
Once this clear proof came to them, at that point the seeker of truth became distinct from the one who had no intention of seeking truth.
And those who chose to perish (by choosing disbelief) might do so after seeing clear evidence.
And those who chose to live (by choosing faith) might do so after seeing clear evidence (8: 42).
But if the People of the Book did not believe in this Messenger, submit to him, that was nothing new, because of their misguidance and stubbornness, for they did not separate and form sects and groups.
Except after clear proof came to them: that would require those who received it to be united.
But because they are wicked and base people, that guidance only increased them in misguidance.
And insight only increased them in blindness, even though all the Books came from the same source with the same religion.
In all laws they were enjoined only to worship Allah with sincere devotion to Him.
That is, in all their acts of worship, both outward and inward, to seek only the pleasure of Allah and to draw close to Him.
Being true in faith to Him alone and turning away from all religions that are contrary to the religion of pure monotheism.
Allah singles out prayer and zakah for mention, even though they are included in the words (to worship Allah with sincere devotion to Him).
Because of their special virtue and because they are the two acts of worship which, if anyone undertakes them, he will undertake all other religious duties.
And that namely affirmation of the oneness of Allah and sincerity in religion is the true religion.
That is, the true religion which leads to the gardens of bliss, and all other religions are paths that lead to hell.
Then Allah mentions the requital of those who disbelieve after clear proof has come to them, as He says:
(Verily those who disbelieve among the People of the Book and among the polytheists will be in the fire of hell) which will encompass them with its punishment, which will be severe indeed.
To abide therein forever that is the punishment will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into utter despair therein.
It is they who are the worst of people, because they learned about the truth but they ignored it, so they became losers in this world and the hereafter.
Verily those who believe and do righteous deeds, it is they who are the best of people because they worshipped Allah and learned who He is, and they attained bliss in this world and the hereafter.
Their reward with their Lord is gardens of perpetual abode, that is, gardens in which they will settle, and will never move on or depart from them, and they will never seek anything better than them.
Through which rivers flow means to abide therein forever and ever.
Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him.
This means He is pleased with them because of what they did of deeds that earn His pleasure, and they are pleased with Him because of what He has prepared for them of all kinds of honour and great reward.
That goodly reward is for those who fear their Lord that is, it is for those who fear Allah and refrain from disobeying Him, and who do their duty towards Him.
What are the two types of the disbelievers mentioned in Surah Al bayyinah?
The two types of disbelievers mentioned in Surah Al Bayyinah are those who disbelieve among the people of the earlier revelations, who are also called people of the book and the polytheists.
This is the end of the commentary on Surah al Bayyinah In English.
All praise and thanks are for Allah, and may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon Prophet Muhammad (SAW), his family, and his Companions abundantly until the Day of Judgement.