The article will help you understand and learn the meaning of there is one God and Muhammad is His prophet. Bearing witness “there is no god but Allah” and that “Muhammad is His prophet” is the first pillar of the five pillars of Islam.
There Is One God and Muhammad is His Prophet in Arabic
In Arabic there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet is written as,
لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا ٱللَّٰهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ ٱللَّٰهِ
La Ilaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah
La ilaha illa Allah means nothing worshipped is worthy of worship except Allah. Muhammadun Rasul Allah is the assertion of the message of Prophet Muhammad and to believe in it and to adhere to it by speech, action and faith.
What Is There Is One God and Muhammad is His Prophet?
As mentioned above, this statement of tawheed encompasses two concepts.
Meaning Of There is One God
This is the first phrase and it has two parts:
Laa Ilaaha: Which negates that anything or anyone deserves to be worshipped other than Allah.
Illa-Allah: Which affirms that Allah alone truly deserves to be worshipped.
Allah SWT said:
“And (remember) when Ibraheem said to his father and his people: “Verily, I am innocent of what you worship, except Him (i. e Allah alone I worship none) Who did create me and verily, he will guide me.Surah Zukhruf: 26-27
Therefore it’s not sufficient to worship Allah rather you must worship Him alone.
The Tawheed of a person is not correct except by singling out Allah in worship and freeing one’s self from polytheism shirk and those who commit it.
It has been mentioned in a narration that “Laa Ilaaha Ill-Allah” is the key to paradise. But does everyone who says it deserve to have the door of paradise opened for him?
Wahab ibn Munabbih was asked: “isnt the statement “Laa Ilaaha Ill-Allah” the key to paradise? He answered:
“Yes but every key has a set of teeth. If you come with the key that has the correct set of grooves the door will open for you. If you come with a key that doesn’t have the correct set of grooves the door will not open for you.”
Many narrations have been reported from the prophet which explain the correct grooves which it must have.
For instance he SAW said:
“whoever says Laa Ilaaha Ill-Allah’ sincerely and he also said “with certainty in his heart and he also said “truthfully from his heart and so on.
These narrations clarify that in order for this key to open the gates of paradise ‘Laa Ilaaha Ill-Allah’ must be said with submission to what its meaning entails remaining firmly upon it throughout ones life and with other characteristics.
Based on evidence from the Qur’an and the Sunnah, the scholars of Islam have concluded that certain conditions must be fulfilled and certain factors must not be present for this phrase to serve as the key to paradise and to benefit the person who utters it.
These conditions are as follows:
- Knowledge: Its opposite is being ignorance.
- Certainty [the opposite of which is doubt]
- Compliance: to Tawheed completely
- Truthfulness: the opposite of which is lying.
- Love: The believer must love this phrase, what it necessitates, and also those who act according to it.
- Purity of Intention: This means to only say this statement seeing the face of Allah and his pleasure.
Meaning Of Muhammad Is His Messenger (Muhammadun Rasulullah)
In the grave the deceased will be tested with three questions. If they answer them correctly, they will be saved, and if not, they are doomed.
One of these questions is ‘Who is your Prophet?
No one will be able to answer correctly except those who have fulfilled the conditions of this testimony, and those who Allab inspires with the answers and bestows upon him firmness in the face of this severe test.
These are the people who will benefit on that day when one’s money or relatives will be of no avail.
The conditions of the testimony of Muhammad SAW is the Messenger of Allah are as follows:
Obedience to what the Prophet SAW commanded, as Allah commands us to obey him
“Whoever obeys the Messenger, has obeyed Allah.”Surah Nisa 80
Allah Subhanahu Wata’ala also said:
“Say if you love Allah, then follow me: Allah will love you and forgive your sins. Verily Allah is forgiving and Meriful.”Surah Al Imran: 31
In addition to this, entering Paradise is conditional upon obedience to the Prophet SAW as he said:
“All of my community of followers will enter paradise except for those that refuse.” They said: “ Messenger of Allah and who refuses ” he said: “Those that obey me will enter paradise and those that disobey me refuse”. Bukhari
- Those that truly love the Prophet SAW must obey him, since obedience is the natural outcome of love.
- Those who claim to love the Prophet SAW do not follow and obey him are not true to their claim.
- Belief in all what the Prophet informed us.
- Whoever believes anything which has been authentically confirmed to be of his statements as false out of desire has given lie to Allah and his Messenger SAW.
The Messenger was protected from erring in religion, as Allah SWT said:
“He doesn’t speak from his own inlination. It is indeed a revelation revealed (to him from Allah).”Surah 53: 3-4
Avoiding everything he prohibited and reproached.
The first and foremost thing that must be avoided is shirk, then the major sins, ending with the lesser sins as well as those things that are makrooh (disliked).
The more the believer loves the Prophet SAW, the more his faith increases.
When a believer’s faith increases, Allah places within him the love to perform good deeds and the hate of disbelief, wickedness and disobedience.
Not worshipping Allah except by what has been legislated by is Prophet SAW.
This issue is critical, for it is not allowed to worship Allah by any act except what has been shown by His Messenger SAW, as he said:
“Whoever innovates an act of worship in our religion, that thing is rejected” (Muslim)
Thus, all types of unprecedented worship is not acceptable to Allah.
Be certain that loving the prophet SAW is an obligation. Rather, it is not enough that one merely loves him; one should love him more than erything else, even his own self.
If someone loves something, they prefer it over theirself and strive to be in agreement with it.
Thus, the one who truly loves the prophet SAW is the one upon whom this love can be seen. He obeys him, implements his Sunnah, implements his commands and imitates his deeds.
He stays clear from what he forbids, tries to behave like him both in times of ease and hardship, and in times when he feels motivated to practice Islam and otherwise.
Obedience is the fruit of love, and without it, love can never be true. There are signs which show that one loves the Prophet SAW. From them are the following:
- Mentioning him a lot and sending praises upon him. If one loves something he mentions it often.
- Longing to meet him. Anyone who loves another longs to meet his beloved.
- Respecting him when he is mentioned. Isha said: The companions of the prophet SAW would not mention him after his death except that they would fall still, the hairs of their skin would stand, and they would weep.
- Hating those who Allah and His Messenger SAW hate, and showing enmity to those who show enmity to them. You also should stay away from those who oppose his Sunnah and introduce new matters in his religion, such as the people of innovation (bid’ah).
- Loving those who the prophet SAW loved, such as the believing members of his family, his wies, and his companions from the migrants (Muhajiroon) and the Helpers (Ansar). You should hate those who hate them, take as enemies those who show enmity to them and curse them.
From the signs that one loves the prophet SAW is that one emulates his noble character and qualities.
The prophet SAW was the most noble of humans in character. Aishah Radiyallahu Anha said of him,
“The character of the prophet SAW was that of the Quran,” (Muslim)
- Meaning that he kept himself from committing any act which the Quran did not command.
- He was the bravest of people, and he would be most brave at times of battle.
- He was the most generous of people, and he would be most generous in Ramadan.
- He was the most sincere towards others and the most forbearing of people.
- He never sought revenge for himself, but at the same time, he was the strictest of people in regards to the commandments of Allah.
- He was the most humble of people and tranquil.
- He was shyer than a secluded virgin.
- He was the best of people to his family, and the most merciful of people towards the creation, and encouraged others to have mercy as well.
O Allah! Send your praises upon him, his family, his wives, his companions and those who followed them in righteousness until the day of esurrection, and remove them from all harm.