Taqwa means obeying Allah in the light of the guidance of Allah and in hope of earning the reward of Allah, and refraining from disobeying Allah in the light of the guidance of Allah and fearing the punishment of Allah.
One of the most frequently mentioned words in the Holy Qur’an is the word “taqwa” and its derivatives.
All verses of Quran about taqwa; it is mentioned in approximately (240 places), and this indicates the value of taqwa (piety) and the extent to which the Holy Qur’an is concerned with it.
Taqwa is the pillar of this religion, and the foundation upon which its rulings and legislations are based on.
Indeed, the taqwa is the origin and the commandment of every prophet of Allah. Taqwa is the line of protection between you and the punishment of Allah, and this protection is only by obeying His commands and avoiding His prohibitions.
All Verses Of Quran About Taqwa And Taqwa Verses In Quran In Arabic
Here are the taqwa verses in Quran in Arabic and their meanings and translation in English.
The Command to have Taqwa
There are 18 verses in the that command to have Taqwa.
- Allah commands His creatures to have Taqwa of Him by worshipping Him Alone without partners.
1. Surah An Nisa verse 1
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱتَّقُواْ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفۡسٍ وَٰحِدَةٍ وَخَلَقَ مِنۡهَا زَوۡجَهَا وَبَثَّ مِنۡهُمَا رِجَالًا كَثِيرًا وَنِسَآءًۚ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ ٱلَّذِى تَسَآءَلُونَ بِهِۦ وَٱلۡأَرۡحَامَۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَيۡكُمۡ رَقِيبًا
O mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And fear Allah, through whom you ask one another, and the wombs. Indeed Allah is ever, over you, an Observer.
- Allah commands the believers to have Taqwa of Him alone.
2. Surah Al Imran verse 102
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِۦ وَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنتُم مُّسۡلِمُونَ
O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him].
- Allah commanded His Prophet, Muhammad SAW to have Taqwa.
3. Surah Ahzab verse 1
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّبِىُّ ٱتَّقِ ٱللَّهَ وَلَا تُطِعِ ٱلۡكَٰفِرِينَ وَٱلۡمُنَٰفِقِينَۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا
O Prophet, fear Allah and do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.
Here Allah points out something lower by referring to something higher. When He commands His servant and Messenger to do this, He is also commanding those who are lower than him, and the command is addressed to them more so.
There are many places in the Quran that Allah commanded the previous people on the tongue of their prophets to have Taqwa.
- Prophet Nuh: Surah Shu’ara verses 105-108
- Prophet Hud: Surah Shu’ara verses 123-126
- Prophet Salih: Surah Shu’ara verses 140-144
- Prophet Lud: Surah Shu’ara verses 160-163
- Prophet Shu’aib: Surah Shu’ara verses 176-179
- Prophet Ibrahim: Surah Ankabut verse 16
- Prophet Ilyas: Surah Saffat verses 123-124
- Prophet Isa (Jesus): Surah Al Imran verse 50
Importance Of Taqwa
4. Surah Baqarah verse 197
- وَتَزَوَّدُواْ فَإِنَّ خَيۡرَ ٱلزَّادِ ٱلتَّقۡوَىٰۚ وَٱتَّقُونِ يَٰٓأُوْلِى ٱلۡأَلۡبَٰبِ
And take provisions, but indeed, the best provision is fear of Allah. And fear Me, O you of understanding.
The best provision is At-Taqwa (piety, righteousness). When Allah required mankind to supply themselves with what sustains them for the journeys of this life, He directed them to the necessary provisions for the Hereafter: Taqwa.
5. Surah Al A’araf verse 26
- يَٰبَنِىٓ ءَادَمَ قَدۡ أَنزَلۡنَا عَلَيۡكُمۡ لِبَاسًا يُوَٰرِى سَوۡءَٰتِكُمۡ وَرِيشًاۖ وَلِبَاسُ ٱلتَّقۡوَىٰ ذَٰلِكَ خَيۡرٌۚ ذَٰلِكَ مِنۡ ءَايَٰتِ ٱللَّهِ لَعَلَّهُمۡ يَذَّكَّرُونَ
O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness – that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember.
Allah reminds His servants that He has given them Libas and Rish.
Libas refers to the clothes that are used to cover the private parts, while Rish refers to the outer adornments used for purposes of beautification. Therefore, the first type is essential while the second type is complimentary.
“When one fears Allah, Allah covers his errors. Hence the `Libas of Taqwa’ (that the Ayah mentions).
6. Surah Hajj verse 37
- لَن يَنَالَ ٱللَّهَ لُحُومُهَا وَلَا دِمَآؤُهَا وَلَٰكِن يَنَالُهُ ٱلتَّقۡوَىٰ مِنكُمۡۚ كَذَٰلِكَ سَخَّرَهَا لَكُمۡ لِتُكَبِّرُواْ ٱللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَىٰكُمۡۗ وَبَشِّرِ ٱلۡمُحۡسِنِينَ
Their meat will not reach Allah, nor will their blood, but what reaches Him is piety from you. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and give good tidings to the doers of good.
The Goal of the Udhiyyah (Sacrifice) according to Allah is the Sincerity and Taqwa of His Servant.
7. Surah Yusuf verse 57
- وَلَأَجۡرُ ٱلۡأٓخِرَةِ خَيۡرٌ لِّلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَكَانُواْ يَتَّقُونَ
And the reward of the Hereafter is better for those who believed and were fearing Allah.
Allah states that what He has prepared for His Prophet Yusuf, peace be upon him, in the Hereafter is much greater, substantial and honored than the authority He gave him in this life.
Characteristics Of Those Who Have Taqwa
8. Surah Baqarah verse 177
- لَّيۡسَ ٱلۡبِرَّ أَن تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمۡ قِبَلَ ٱلۡمَشۡرِقِ وَٱلۡمَغۡرِبِ وَلَٰكِنَّ ٱلۡبِرَّ مَنۡ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأٓخِرِ وَٱلۡمَلَٰٓئِكَةِ وَٱلۡكِتَٰبِ وَٱلنَّبِيِّـۧنَ وَءَاتَى ٱلۡمَالَ عَلَىٰ حُبِّهِۦ ذَوِى ٱلۡقُرۡبَىٰ وَٱلۡيَتَٰمَىٰ وَٱلۡمَسَٰكِينَ وَٱبۡنَ ٱلسَّبِيلِ وَٱلسَّآئِلِينَ وَفِى ٱلرِّقَابِ وَأَقَامَ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَءَاتَى ٱلزَّكَوٰةَ وَٱلۡمُوفُونَ بِعَهۡدِهِمۡ إِذَا عَٰهَدُواْۖ وَٱلصَّٰبِرِينَ فِى ٱلۡبَأۡسَآءِ وَٱلضَّرَّآءِ وَحِينَ ٱلۡبَأۡسِۗ أُوْلَٰٓئِكَ ٱلَّذِينَ صَدَقُواْۖ وَأُوْلَٰٓئِكَ هُمُ ٱلۡمُتَّقُونَ.
- Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives Zakah;
- [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.
They are Al-Muttaqun (the pious) because they avoided the prohibitions and performed the acts of obedience.
9. Surah Al A’araf verse 201
- إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱتَّقَوۡاْ إِذَا مَسَّهُمۡ طَٰٓئِفٌ مِّنَ ٱلشَّيۡطَٰنِ تَذَكَّرُواْ فَإِذَا هُم مُّبۡصِرُونَ
Indeed, those who fear Allah – when an impulse touches them from Satan, they remember [Him] and at once they have insight.
This ayah talk about the Whispering of Shaytan and the People of Taqwa.
How To Get Taqwa
- By worshipping Allah
10. Surah Baqarah verse 21
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعۡبُدُواْ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمۡ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبۡلِكُمۡ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ
O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous
- By Sticking to His commands and acting upon them
11. Surah Baqarah verse 64
- وَإِذۡ أَخَذۡنَا مِيثَٰقَكُمۡ وَرَفَعۡنَا فَوۡقَكُمُ ٱلطُّورَ خُذُواْ مَآ ءَاتَيۡنَٰكُم بِقُوَّةٍ وَٱذۡكُرُواْ مَا فِيهِ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ
And [recall] when We took your covenant, [O Children of Israel, to abide by the Torah] and We raised over you the mount, [saying], “Take what We have given you with determination and remember what is in it that perhaps you may become righteous.”
Allah reminded the Children of Israel of the pledges, covenants and promises that He took from them to believe in Him alone, without a partner, and follow His Messengers.
Allah stated that when He took their pledge from them, He raised the mountain above their heads, so that they affirm the pledge that they gave Allah and abide by it with sincerity and seriousness.
12. Surah Baqarah verse 183
- يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous.
- Follow Allah’s Straight Path and to Avoid All Other Paths.
13. Surah An’am verse 153
- وَأَنَّ هَٰذَا صِرَٰطِى مُسۡتَقِيمًا فَٱتَّبِعُوهُۖ وَلَا تَتَّبِعُواْ ٱلسُّبُلَ فَتَفَرَّقَ بِكُمۡ عَن سَبِيلِهِۦۚ ذَٰلِكُمۡ وَصَّىٰكُم بِهِۦ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ
And, [moreover], this is My path, which is straight, so follow it; and do not follow [other] ways, for you will be separated from His way. This has He instructed you that you may become righteous.
Benefits Of Taqwa
- Success In This World and here after
14. Surah Al Imran verse 200
- وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تُفۡلِحُونَ
And fear Allah that you may be successful.
- Allah is With Those Who Have Taqwa
15. Surah Baqarah verse 194
- وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ
And fear Allah and know that Allah is with those who fear Him.
The Ayah informs us that Allah is with those who have Taqwa by His aid and support in this life and the Hereafter.
- Allah Will Give You Knowledge
16. Surah Baqarah verse 282
- وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَۖ وَيُعَلِّمُكُمُ ٱللَّهُۗ وَٱللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَىۡءٍ عَلِيمٌ
And fear Allah. And Allah teaches you. And Allah is Knowing of all things.
So have Taqwa of Allah, means, fear Him, remember His watch over you, implement His command and avoid what He prohibited.
- Gain Mercy of Allah
17. Surah Al An’am verse 155
- وَهَٰذَا كِتَٰبٌ أَنزَلۡنَٰهُ مُبَارَكٌ فَٱتَّبِعُوهُ وَٱتَّقُواْ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تُرۡحَمُونَ
And this [Quran] is a Book We have revealed [which is] blessed, so follow it and fear Allah that you may receive mercy.
This calls to following the Qur’an. Allah encourages His servants to follow His Book (the Qur’an) and orders them to understand it, adhere to it and call to it.
He also describes it as being blessed, for those who follow and implement it in this life and the Hereafter, because it is the Firm Rope of Allah.
- You will be safe from fear, panic and grieve on the Day of Resurrection.
18. Surah A’araf verse 35
- فَمَنِ ٱتَّقَىٰ وَأَصۡلَحَ فَلَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡهِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ.
Then whoever fears Allah and reforms – there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve.
- Earn a great reward
19. Surah Al Imran verse 172
- ٱلَّذِينَ ٱسۡتَجَابُواْ لِلَّهِ وَٱلرَّسُولِ مِنۢ بَعۡدِ مَآ أَصَابَهُمُ ٱلۡقَرۡحُۚ لِلَّذِينَ أَحۡسَنُواْ مِنۡهُمۡ وَٱتَّقَوۡاْ أَجۡرٌ عَظِيمٌ.
Those [believers] who responded to Allah and the Messenger after injury had struck them. For those who did good among them and feared Allah is a great reward.
- Allah will Expiate From Your Sins
20. Surah Talaq Ayat 5
- وَمَن يَتَّقِ ٱللَّهَ يُكَفِّرۡ عَنۡهُ سَيِّئَاتِهِۦ وَيُعۡظِمۡ لَهُۥٓ أَجۡرًا
And whoever fears Allah – He will remove for him his misdeeds and make great for him his reward.
And whosoever has Taqwa of Allah, He will expiate from him his sins, and will increase his reward.
Means, Allah will prevent what he fears and multiply his reward even for the little good he does.
- Your sustenance will be expanded.
21. Surah A’araf verse 96
- وَلَوْ أَنَّ أَهْلَ الْقُرَى آمَنُوا وَاتَّقَوْا لَفَتَحْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ بَرَكَاتٍ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَلَكِنْ كَذَّبُوا فَأَخَذْنَاهُمْ بِمَا كَانُوا يَكْسِبُونَ
And if only the people of the cities had believed and feared Allah, We would have opened [i.e., bestowed] upon them blessings from the heaven and the earth; but they denied [the messengers], so We seized them for what they were earning.
- Allah will protect you from the plots of the enemies
22. Surah Al Imran verse 120
- إِن تَمۡسَسۡكُمۡ حَسَنَةٌ تَسُؤۡهُمۡ وَإِن تُصِبۡكُمۡ سَيِّئَةٌ يَفۡرَحُواْ بِهَاۖ وَإِن تَصۡبِرُواْ وَتَتَّقُواْ لَا يَضُرُّكُمۡ كَيۡدُهُمۡ شَيۡئًاۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ بِمَا يَعۡمَلُونَ مُحِيطٌ
If good touches you, it distresses them; but if harm strikes you, they rejoice at it. And if you are patient and fear Allah, their plot will not harm you at all. Indeed, Allah is encompassing of what they do.
- Allah will put light in your heart to differentiate between truth and falsehood.
23. Surah Anfal verse 29
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ إِن تَتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ يَجۡعَل لَّكُمۡ فُرۡقَانًا وَيُكَفِّرۡ عَنكُمۡ سَيِّئَاتِكُمۡ وَيَغۡفِرۡ لَكُمۡۗ وَٱللَّهُ ذُو ٱلۡفَضۡلِ ٱلۡعَظِيمِ
O you who have believed, if you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion and will remove from you your misdeeds and forgive you. And Allah is the possessor of great bounty.
Certainly, those who have Taqwa of Allah by obeying what He ordained and abstaining from what he forbade, will be guided to differentiate between the truth and the falsehood.
This will be a triumph, safety and a way out for them from the affairs of this life, all the while acquiring happiness in the Hereafter.
They will also gain forgiveness, thus having their sins erased, and pardon, thus having their sins covered from other people, as well as, being directed to a way to gain Allah’s tremendous rewards.
- Allah will make a way for him to get out of difficulty.
24. Surah Talaq Ayat 2-3
- وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مَخْرَجًا (2) وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ)
And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out, (2) And will provide for him from where he does not expect.
- Allah will make your matter easy
25. Surah Talaq Ayat 4
- وَمَن يَتَّقِ ٱللَّهَ يَجۡعَل لَّهُۥ مِنۡ أَمۡرِهِۦ يُسۡرًا
And whoever fears Allah – He will make for him of his matter ease.
Means, Allah will make his matters lenient for him and will soon bring forth relief and a quick way out.
- Allah will protect your offspring after your death.
26. Surah Nisa verse 9
- وَلۡيَخۡشَ ٱلَّذِينَ لَوۡ تَرَكُواْ مِنۡ خَلۡفِهِمۡ ذُرِّيَّةً ضِعَٰفًا خَافُواْ عَلَيۡهِمۡ فَلۡيَتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ وَلۡيَقُولُواْ قَوۡلًا سَدِيدًا
And let those [executors and guardians] fear [injustice] as if they [themselves] had left weak offspring behind and feared for them. So let them fear Allah and speak words of appropriate justice.
- You will be among the noble people
27. Surah Hujurat verse 13
- إِنَّ أَكۡرَمَكُمۡ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ أَتۡقَىٰكُمۡۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ
Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Aware.
- Gain Allah’s love
28. Surah Taubah verse 7
- إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ يُحِبُّ ٱلۡمُتَّقِينَ
Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him].
- Allah will accept your good deeds.
29. Surah Ma’idah verse 27
- إِنَّمَا يَتَقَبَّلُ ٱللَّهُ مِنَ ٱلۡمُتَّقِينَ
Indeed, Allah only accepts from the righteous [who fear Him].
- Allah will save those who have Taqwa from hellfire.
30. Surah Zumar ayat 61
- وَيُنَجِّى ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱتَّقَوۡاْ بِمَفَازَتِهِمۡ لَا يَمَسُّهُمُ ٱلسُّوٓءُ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ
And Allah will save those who feared Him by their attainment; no evil will touch them, nor will they grieve.
- Be in Jannah
- إِنَّ ٱلۡمُتَّقِينَ فِى جَنَّٰتٍ وَنَعِيمٍ
Indeed, the righteous will be in gardens and pleasure.
Allah the Exalted described the destination of the happy ones, Verily, those who have Taqwa will be in Gardens and Delight.
After reading theses verses of the Noble Qur’an, we must have Taqwa in our hearts, and be truthful in our words, actions and behaviors.
You should always pray to Allah to make us among His pious and righteous servants so that Allah will make us among the victory people who will be in Paradise and save us from Hellfire.