Here is Quran Surah 17 ayat 79-81 Arabic text, transliteration and meaning. Surah 17 is called Surah Isra’. The verses talk about importance of tahajjud prayer, the Command to emigrate etc.
Surah 17 Ayat 79-81 In Arabic Text
- وَمِنَ ٱلَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِۦ نَافِلَةًۭ لَّكَ عَسَىٰٓ أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًۭا مَّحْمُودًۭا.
- وَقُل رَّبِّ أَدْخِلْنِى مُدْخَلَ صِدْقٍۢ وَأَخْرِجْنِى مُخْرَجَ صِدْقٍۢ وَٱجْعَل لِّى مِن لَّدُنكَ سُلْطَـٰنًۭا نَّصِيرًۭا.
- وَقُلْ جَآءَ ٱلْحَقُّ وَزَهَقَ ٱلْبَـٰطِلُ ۚ إِنَّ ٱلْبَـٰطِلَ كَانَ زَهُوقًۭا
- Wa minal laili fatahajjad bihee naafilatal laka ‘asaaa any yab’asaka Rabbuka Maqaamam Mahmoodaa.
- Wa qur Rabbi adkhilnee mudkhala sidqinw wa akhrijnee mukhraja sidqinw waj’al lee milladunka sultaanan naseeraa.
- Wa qul jaaa’al haqqu wa zahaqal baatil; innal baatila kaana zahooqaa.
Quran Surah 17 Ayat 79-81 English Translation
Here you can read various translations of Surah Isra’, verse 79 to 81
- And from [part of] the night, pray with it as additional [worship] for you; it is expected that your Lord will resurrect you to a praised station.
- And say, “My Lord, cause me to enter a sound entrance and to exit a sound exit and grant me from Yourself a supporting authority.”
- And say, “Truth has come, and falsehood has departed. Indeed is falsehood, [by nature], ever bound to depart.”
- And pray in the small watches of the morning: (it would be) an additional prayer (or spiritual profit) for thee: soon will thy Lord raise thee to a Station of Praise and Glory!
- Say: “O my Lord! Let my entry be by the Gate of Truth and Honour, and likewise my exit by the Gate of Truth and Honour; and grant me from Thy Presence an authority to aid (me).”
- And say: “Truth has (now) arrived, and Falsehood perished: for Falsehood is (by its nature) bound to perish.”
Abul Ala Maududi
- And rise from sleep during the night as well- this is an additional Prayer for you. Possibly your Lord will raise you to an honoured position.
- And pray: “My Lord! Cause me to enter wherever it be, with Truth, and cause me to exit, wherever it be, with Truth, and support me with authority from Yourself.”
- And proclaim: “The Truth has come, and falsehood has vanished. Surely falsehood is ever bound to vanish.”
- And in some parts of the night (also) offer the Salat (prayer) with it (i.e. recite the Quran in the prayer), as an additional prayer (Tahajjud optional prayer Nawafil) for you (O Muhammad SAW). It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqaman Mahmuda (a station of praise and glory, i.e. the highest degree in Paradise!).
- And say (O Muhammad SAW): My Lord! Let my entry (to the city of Al-Madinah) be good, and likewise my exit (from the city of Makkah) be good. And grant me from You an authority to help me (or a firm sign or a proof).
- And say: “Truth (i.e. Islamic Monotheism or this Quran or Jihad against polytheists) has come and Batil (falsehood, i.e. Satan or polytheism, etc.) has vanished. Surely! Batil is ever bound to vanish.”
- And some part of the night awake for it, a largess for thee. It may be that thy Lord will raise thee to a praised estate.
- And say: My Lord! Cause me to come in with a firm incoming and to go out with a firm outgoing. And give me from Thy presence a sustaining Power.
- And say: Truth hath come and falsehood hath vanished away. Lo! falsehood is ever bound to vanish.
- And keep constant vigil with it (The Qur’an) (part) of the night (These are the late night supererogatory prayers) as an accordance for you; it may be that your Lord will make you rise again to a praised station.
- And say, “Lord! Cause me to enter a sincere entry and cause me to go out a sincere outgoing, and make for me, from very close to You, a ready vindicating all – binding authority.”
- And say, “The Truth has come and untruth has expired; surely the untruth has been certain to expire.” (Literally: ever-expiring)
- and dur-ing the night wake up and pray, as an extra offering of your own, so that your Lord may raise you to a [highly] praised status.
- Say, ‘My Lord, make me go in truthfully, and come out truthfully, and grant me supporting authority from You.’
- And say, ‘The truth has come, and falsehood has passed away: falsehood is bound to pass away.’
Quran 17 Verse 79-81 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Al-Isra ayat 79, we’ve provided two the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi below.
And rise from sleep during the night as well- this is an additional Prayer for you. Possibly your Lord will raise you to an honoured position.
The literal meaning of tahajjud is to rise up by breaking sleep. Therefore, it means: Rise up from sleep after the passing of a part of night and then offer your prayer.
Read benefits of Tahajjud.
Nafl literally means: Something done in addition to an obligatory duty. This shows that the tahajjud prayer is in addition to the five prescribed prayers.
“Will raise you to an honored position”. You may attain such a high position in this world and in the next world that people from everywhere may be full of praise for you, and you may become a praiseworthy personality.
This is, as if to say: Now your opponents are engaged in calling you names and are trying to defame you throughout the country, and have raised a storm of false accusations against you but that time is not far when the world will ring with the echoes of your praise and in the Hereafter you will become worthy of praise by all creatures.
The exaltation of the Prophet (peace be upon him) to the high position of intercession on the Day of Resurrection is also a part of that honored position.
And pray: “My Lord! Cause me to enter wherever it be, with Truth, and cause me to exit, wherever it be, with Truth, and support me with authority from Yourself.”
This prayer clearly shows that the time of Hijrah (Migration) had come near. That is why Allah has instructed the Prophet (peace be upon him) to this effect: You should follow the truth wherever and in whatever condition you be.
If you migrate from a place, you should migrate for the sake of the truth, and wherever you go, you should go for the sake of the truth.
That is, either grant me power and authority or make some government my helper so that I may use its power to reform the corrupt world. This is because power is required to check indecency and sin and to enforce the law of justice.
Hasan Basri and Qatadah have made the same interpretation of this verse, and the great commentators like Ibn Jarir and Ibn Kathir have adopted the same.
This is supported by a tradition of the Prophet (peace be upon him): Allah eradicates by the power of government those evils, which are not eradicated by the teachings of the Quran.
This is a clear proof that according to Islam, political power is also required to introduce reform, for admonition alone is not enough for this.
Besides this, when Allah Himself has taught this prayer to His Prophet (peace be upon him) for the establishment of His way and enforcement of His law, it is not only lawful but desirable to acquire power and those, who consider this to be a worldly thing, are obviously in the wrong.
What is really worldliness is that one should desire and acquire power for his own interest. On the contrary, the desire of power for the sake of Allah’s way is not the worship of the world but the worship of God.