Rabbana atina min ladunka rahmatan is one of the duas that is mentioned in the Quran. When the situation gets tough, when we have nowhere to turn to we turn to Allah Subhanahu wa’ta’ala and remember our Prophet SAW.
Let’s learn the meaning of rabbana atina min ladunka rahmah in English.
Rabbana Atina Min Ladunka Rahmatan Meaning
The meaning of rabbana atina min ladunka rahmah is, Our Lord! Bestow on us mercy from Yourself, and facilitate for us our affair in the right way.
Rabbana Atina Min Ladunka Rahmatan in Arabic
In Arabic text, rabbana Atina Min Ladunka is written as,
رَبَّنَا اتِنَا مِن لَّدُنكَ رَحْمَةً وَهَيِّيْ لَنَا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا رَشَدًا
Rabbana atina min ladunka rahmatan wahhayi’ Lana min amrina rashada.
Every matter of importance that you begin without remembering Allah that matter shall be mutilated, it’s going to be imperfect.
Whenever we begin something of importance we make zikr of Allah, we ask Allah’s blessings and dua.
So this is a beautiful dua to memorize and to use before we undertake any major decision. This dua can be found surah Kahf, chapter 18 verse 10.
Rabbana Atina Min Ladunka Rahmah Benefits
There are a lot of benefits of reciting this Dua on a regular basis and these include,
- You ask Allah to make you steadfast
- Protect you from evil
- Help you to do good
- Guide you through your ordeal that is, make easy for you that which is best for you, and
- Put right all your affairs, both spiritual and worldly.
Who said this and what was the impact of this dua?
Surah al-Kahf tells us there was a group of young men who embraced islam at a time of paganism.
This was in the time of prophet Isa or after prophet Isa, they embraced monotheism amongst a sea of paganism and their people persecuted them, their families expelled them and the powerful king wanted to execute them.
Finding no refuge, they could not flee anywhere.
They fled out to the mountains and they made this dua to Allah not knowing what to do.
They didn’t have money, they didn’t have any place to go and they did not have any help in this world.
So they made dua to Allah, and they found a cave and they said let us just rest here for a while and Allah answered their dua.
Because this dua is a dua that should be said when you are in difficult circumstances, it is a dua that is said when you undertaking a journey you don’t know the consequences, when you are uncertain about your affairs, when you need Allah’s help and when the situation is difficult and dire.
What is this dua translate as these young men, they made a sincere plea to our Lord, Rabbana atina miladunka, we beg for you that you give us directly from yourself and your rahma.
We want the special Rahma that is shown to the righteous people, because rahma means a soft compassion, rahma means to feel a sense of genuine care and concern.
So we love Allah Rahma to make our life become easier with Allah.
The second phrase is o Allah guide us in our affairs to that which is good. We don’t know what to do and we leave it to you.
Oh Allah You prepare it for us, you prepare you take care of and make sure that our affairs become right.
They are correct whatever happens happens for our best interest.
So what was the response of this dua?
These young men were not prophets, they were not angels but their Iman was so strong, they made this dua and subhanallah Allah Azzawajal gifted them with a miracle even though they were not prophets and that miracle was what they went to sleep for 300 plus years.
And they had no idea that when they woke up the king had died the dynasty had fizzled out.
The people that were pagans had converted to the religion of Isa, christianity so they were not righteous,
So Allah saved them through sleep and they never understood because Allah Azzawajal takes care in ways they don’t understand.
This was our lord, we ask your mercy directly from Yourself and we ask You that You make our affairs correct and rightly guided.
Let’s break down this beautiful dua (supplication) into a listicle format, highlighting its components and the sentiments it conveys:
1. Invocation to the Almighty:
- This dua begins with the address, “Our Lord,” establishing a direct connection with the Supreme Being.
- The term “Lord” signifies the recognition of Allah authority and power.
2. Appeal for Mercy:
- “Bestow on us mercy from Yourself” expresses a heartfelt plea for Allah compassion.
- Mercy is sought directly from Allah, emphasizing His benevolence and capacity for infinite compassion.
3. Acknowledgment of Dependency:
- By seeking mercy “from Yourself,” the supplicant acknowledges dependence on Allah for all forms of compassion and benevolence.
- This phrase reflects humility and an understanding of the source of all goodness.
4. Request for Facilitation:
- “Facilitate for us our affair” seeks ALLAH assistance in making life’s matters easier and more manageable.
- This acknowledges the complexities of life and the need for Allah guidance and support in navigating them.
5. Desire for Righteous Guidance:
- The phrase “in the right way” underscores the importance of seeking guidance in accordance with divine principles and righteousness.
- It reflects a desire to be led down a path that aligns with moral and ethical values.
6. Beautiful Balance of Humility and Hope:
- The dua strikes a balance between humility, as seen in the acknowledgment of dependence and seeking mercy, and hope, as seen in the request for facilitation in the right way.
- This balance encapsulates the essence of a sincere supplication, combining a humble recognition of human limitations with optimistic trust in divine guidance.
7. Versatility of Application:
- The dua’s general nature allows for its application in various life situations, making it a versatile supplication for seeking Allah’s mercy and guidance in different aspects of life.
In essence, this beautiful dua encapsulates a profound plea for mercy, guidance, and facilitation in a manner that is humble, inclusive, and universally applicable.