Surah Ghashiya which means The Overwhelming or The Pall in English is the 88th chapter of the Qur’an, with 26 verses. Check out the transliteration and meaning of surah Al Ghashiya.
About Surah Ghashiya
|Place of revelation||Makkah|
|Name Meaning||The Overwhelming Event, |
The Overshadowing Event, The Pall
|Number of verses||26|
|Surah before||Surah A Ala|
|Surah after||Surah Fajr|
Surah Ghashiyah In Arabic Text
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- هَلْ أَتَاكَ حَدِيثُ الْغَاشِيَةِ
- وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ خَاشِعَةٌ
- عَامِلَةٌ نَّاصِبَةٌ
- تَصْلَى نَارًا حَامِيَةً
- تُسْقَى مِنْ عَيْنٍ آنِيَةٍ
- لَّيْسَ لَهُمْ طَعَامٌ إِلاَّ مِن ضَرِيعٍ
- لا يُسْمِنُ وَلا يُغْنِي مِن جُوعٍ
- وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ نَّاعِمَةٌ
- لِسَعْيِهَا رَاضِيَةٌ
- فِي جَنَّةٍ عَالِيَةٍ
- لّا تَسْمَعُ فِيهَا لاغِيَةً
- فِيهَا عَيْنٌ جَارِيَةٌ
- فِيهَا سُرُرٌ مَّرْفُوعَةٌ
- وَأَكْوَابٌ مَّوْضُوعَةٌ
- وَنَمَارِقُ مَصْفُوفَةٌ
- وَزَرَابِيُّ مَبْثُوثَةٌ
- أَفَلا يَنظُرُونَ إِلَى الإِبِلِ كَيْفَ خُلِقَتْ
- وَإِلَى السَّمَاء كَيْفَ رُفِعَتْ
- وَإِلَى الْجِبَالِ كَيْفَ نُصِبَتْ
- وَإِلَى الأَرْضِ كَيْفَ سُطِحَتْ
- فَذَكِّرْ إِنَّمَا أَنتَ مُذَكِّرٌ
- لَّسْتَ عَلَيْهِم بِمُصَيْطِرٍ
- إِلاَّ مَن تَوَلَّى وَكَفَرَ
- فَيُعَذِّبُهُ اللَّهُ الْعَذَابَ الأَكْبَرَ
- إِنَّ إِلَيْنَا إِيَابَهُمْ
- ثُمَّ إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا حِسَابَهُمْ
Surah Ghashiya Transliteration
- Hal ataaka hadeesul ghaashiyah
- Wujoohuny yawma ‘izin khaashi’ah
- ‘Aamilatun naasibah
- Taslaa naaran haamiyah
- Tusqaa min ‘aynin aaniyah
- Laisa lahum ta’aamun illaa min daree’
- Laa yusminu wa laa yughnee min joo’
- Wujoohuny yawma ‘izin naa’imah
- Lisa’yihaa raadiyah
- Fee jannatin ‘aaliyah
- Laa tasma’u feehaa laaghiyah
- Feehaa ‘aynun jaariyah
- Feehaa sururum marfoo’ah
- Wa akwaabum mawzoo’ah
- Wa namaariqu masfoofah
- Wa zaraabiyyu mabsoosah
- Afalaa yanzuroona ilalibili kaifa khuliqat
- Wa ilas samaaa’i kaifa rufi’at
- Wa ilal jibaali kaifa nusibat
- Wa ilal ardi kaifa sutihat
- Fazakkir innama anta Muzakkir
- Lasta ‘alaihim bimusaitir
- Illaa man tawallaa wa kafar
- Fa yu’azzibuhul laahul ‘azaabal akbar
- Innaa ilainaaa iyaabahum
- Summa inna ‘alainaa hisaabahum.
Surah Al Ghashiyah In English
- 1. Has there come to you the story of the overwhelming event [the Day of Resurrection]?
- 2. Some faces, on that day, will be humiliated,
- 3. toiling and weary,
- 4. as they bum in an intensely hot fire.
- 5. They will be given to drink from a boiling hot spring,
- 6. and will have no food except dry thorns
- 7. that will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
- 8. And other faces, on that day, will be joyful,
- 9. content with the result of their past endeavours,
- 10. in a garden on high.
- 11. where they will hear no idle talk.
- 12. In it there will be a flowing spring;
- 13. in it there will be raised couches,
- 14. and goblets placed ready,
- 15. and cushions set in rows,
- 18. and fine carpets spread out.
- 17. Do they not consider the camels, how they are created;
- 18. the heaven, how it is raised high;
- 19. the mountains, how they are firmly set up;
- 20. and the earth, how it is spread out?
- 21. So admonish [O Muhammad], for you are but sent to admonish;
- 22. you have no power over them.
- 23. But whoever turns away and disbelieves,
- 24. Allah will punish him with the greatest punishment
- 25. Verily, to Us will be their return,
- 26. then surely with Us is their reckoning.
Meaning Of Surah Ghashiya In English
In this Surah, Allah mentions the Day of Resurrection and what it will involve of terrifying events, for it will overwhelm people with its hardships.
They will be requited for their deeds and will be divided into two groups: one group which will be in paradise and another which will be in the blazing fire.
Then He describes each group. He says, describing the people of hell: Some faces, on that day namely the Day of Resurrection will be humiliated, subject to shame and disgrace.
Toiling and weary.that is, they will be exhausted from the punishment, dragged on their faces and their faces will be covered with fire.
As they bum in an intensely hot fire that will encompass them on all sides.
They will be given to drink from a boiling hot spring that is, one that is intensely hot.
…If they cry for help, they will be given water like [boiling] dregs of oil that will scald their faces…)Surah al-Kahf 29
This will be their drink.
As for their food, they will have no food except dry thorns that will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
The purpose of food is usually one of two things: either it satisfies a person’s hunger and takes away the pangs thereof, or it nourishes his body and protects it from malnutrition.
But this food will not do either of these things; rather it is food that is exceedingly bitter, foul-smelling and vile. We ask Allah to keep us safe and sound.
As for the people of goodness, their faces on the Day of Resurrection will be (joyful) that is, the radiance of bliss will show on their faces and their bodies will exhibit physical well-being.
Their faces will glow and they will be extremely happy.
Content with the result of their past endeavours that they sent forth in this world of righteous deeds and kindness to the slaves of Allah.
They will find the reward thereof stored up and multiplied, so they will be pleased with the outcome and will attain all that they wished for.
They will be in a garden that contains all kinds of delight on high, in a sublime location, with lofty dwellings, one above another, from which they will look out over what Allah has prepared for them of honour.
Where that is, in paradise, they will hear no idle talk that is, they will hear no unnecessary talk, let alone any kind of forbidden talk.
Rather their talk will be good and beneficial talk that includes remembrance of Allah and remembrance of His abundant blessings, and they will observe the best manners when talking and conversing, which will bring joy to their hearts.
In it there will be a flowing spring that is, there will be numerous springs that they will cause to flow and direct however they wish and wherever they want.
In it there will be raised couches. The word translated here as couches refers to raised seating that is covered with soft and fine cloth.
And goblets placed ready that is, vessels filled with all kinds of delicious drinks, that will be placed in front of them and prepared for them; they will be made available upon demand, taken around to them by immortal youths.
And cushions set in rows that is, pillows of silk, brocade and other fabrics that no one knows except Allah.
They will be lined up for people to sit and recline on, and they will not need to go to the trouble of putting them out and setting them up in rows themselves.
And fine carpets spread out this refers to beautiful carpets; the places where they will sit will be filled with these carpets.
Then Allah urges those who do not believe in the Messenger and other people, to reflect upon the creations of Allah that point to His oneness:
Do they not consider the camels, how they are created that is, do they not look at the brilliant creation of the camels and how Allah has made them to be of service to people, subjugating them to provide many benefits that people need.
The mountains, how they are firmly set up in a very amazing manner that gives stability to the earth and protects it from shaking;
Allah has deposited in the earth that which is of great benefit.
And the earth, how it is spread out that is, it has been spread out and made broad and smooth so that creatures may settle on its surface, and so that people may be able to till the earth, plant in it, build on it and travel through routes that lead to different destinations.
It should be understood that the fact that the earth has been spread out does not contradict the fact that it is round.
It is surrounded by stars and heavenly bodies in all directions, as is indicated by the texts, reason, physical faculties and observation, as is well known to most people, especially nowadays when people have discovered most of it with what Allah has bestowed upon them of means of transportation.
The idea that describing something as spread out means that it cannot be round is only applicable in the case of a very small body that, if it is spread out, can no longer be round.
As for the earth, which is an extremely big body, it may be round and spread out at the same time; the two matters are not mutually exclusive, as is well known to experts.
So admonish [O Muhammad], for you are but sent to admonish that is, remind people, exhort them, warn them and give them glad tidings, for you have been sent to call people to Allah and to admonish them, but you have not been sent to control them or have power over them, or to be in charge of their deeds.
If you do what you are obliged to do, then there is no blame on you after that.
But whoever turns away and disbelieves)? that is, whoever turns away from obedience and disbelieves in Allah, Allah will punish him with the greatest punishment.that is, the severe and eternal punishment.
Verily, to Us will be their retump that is, all people will return to Us and We will gather them on the Day of Resurrection.
Then it is for Us to call them to account and We will bring them to account for whatever they did of good and evil.
This is the end of the commentary on Surah al-Ghashiyah.
All praise and thanks are for Allah, and may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, and his Companions abundantly until the Day of Judgement.