Surah infitar which means The Cleaving in Sunder is the 82nd chapter of the Qur’an, and has 19 ayat. The Surah is named Al-Infitar because of the occurrence of the word ‘unfatarat’ in the first verse of this chapter.
This chapter, along with surah At-Takwir and surah Al-Inshiqaq, provides an exhaustive description about the Day of Judgment. Check out the translation and transliteration of this chapter.
Summary of Surah Al Infitar
|Juz number||30 juz|
|Number of verses||19|
|Name||The Cleaving Asunder, |
|Surah before||Surah takweer|
|Surah after||Surah Muttatifin|
Surah Al Infitar in Arabic
- بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
- 1. إِذَا السَّمَاءُ انْفَطَرَتْ
- 2. وَإِذَا الْكَوَاكِبُ انْتَثَرَتْ
- 3. وَإِذَا الْبِحَارُ فُجِّرَتْ
- 4. وَإِذَا الْقُبُورُ بُعْثِرَتْ
- 5. عَلِمَتْ نَفْسٌ مَا قَدَّمَتْ وَأَخَّرَتْ
- 6. يَا أَيُّهَا الْإِنْسَانُ مَا غَرَّكَ بِرَبِّكَ الْكَرِيمِ
- 7. الَّذِي خَلَقَكَ فَسَوَّاكَ فَعَدَلَكَ
- 8. فِي أَيِّ صُورَةٍ مَا شَاءَ رَكَّبَكَ
- 9. كَلَّا بَلْ تُكَذِّبُونَ بِالدِّينِ
- 10. وَإِنَّ عَلَيْكُمْ لَحَافِظِينَ
- 11. كِرَامًا كَاتِبِينَ
- 12. يَعْلَمُونَ مَا تَفْعَلُونَ
- 13. إِنَّ الْأَبْرَارَ لَفِي نَعِيمٍ
- 14. وَإِنَّ الْفُجَّارَ لَفِي جَحِيمٍ
- 15. يَصْلَوْنَهَا يَوْمَ الدِّينِ
- 16. وَمَا هُمْ عَنْهَا بِغَائِبِينَ
- 17. وَمَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا يَوْمُ الدِّينِ
- 18. ثُمَّ مَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا يَوْمُ الدِّينِ
- 19. يَوْمَ لَا تَمْلِكُ نَفْسٌ لِنَفْسٍ شَيْئًا ۖ وَالْأَمْرُ يَوْمَئِذٍ لِلَّهِ
Surah Infitar Transliteration
- 1. Izas samaaa’un fatarat
- 2. Wa izal kawaakibun tasarat
- 3. Wa izal bihaaru fujjirat
- 4. Wa izal qubooru bu’sirat
- 5. ‘Alimat nafsum maa qaddamat wa akhkharat
- 6. Yaaa ayyuhal insaaanu maa gharraka bi Rabbikal kareem
- 7. Allazee khalaqaka fasaw waaka fa’adalak
- 8. Feee ayye sooratim maa shaaa’a rakkabak
- 9. Kalla bal tukazziboona bid deen
- 10. Wa inna ‘alaikum lahaa fizeen
- 11. Kiraaman kaatibeen
- 12. Ya’lamoona ma taf’aloon
- 13. Innal abraara lafee na’eem
- 14. Wa innal fujjaara lafee jaheem
- 15. Yaslawnahaa Yawmad Deen
- 16. Wa maa hum ‘anhaa bighaaa ‘ibeen
- 17. Wa maaa adraaka maa Yawmud Deen
- 18. Summa maaa adraaka maa Yawmud Deen
- 19. Yawma laa tamliku nafsul linafsin shai’anw walamru yawma’izil lillaah.
Surah Infitar in English
- 1. When the heaven is cleft asunder,
- 2. And when the stars are dispersed,
- 3. And when the seas burst forth,
- 4. And when the graves are overturned,
- 5. Then every soul will know what it has done and what it has left undone.
- 6. O man, what has deceived you concerning your Most Generous Lord,
- 7. Who created you, fashioned you and made you well-proportioned,
- 8. Assembling you in whatever form He willed?
- 9. Nay, but you deny the Last Judgement,
- 10. While indeed there are watchers appointed over you,
- 11. Honourable scribes,
- 12. who know all that you do.
- 13. Verily the righteous will be in bliss,
- 14. And verily the wicked will be in the blazing fire,
- 15. Which they will enter on the Day of Judgement
- 16. And will never leave.
- 17. And how could you know what the Day of Judgement is?
- 18. Again, how could you know what the Day of Judgement is?
- 19. It is the day when no soul will have the power to do anything for another, and on that day all command will belong to Allah alone.
Where did Surah Infitar reveal?
Surah Infitar was revealed in Mecca.
Which Juz is Surah Infitar?
The surah is in position or juz 30.
What is the Meaning of Surah Al Infitar?
Here is the meaning and commentary on Surah Al Infitar.
That is, when the heaven is tom apart and the heavenly bodies are scattered, losing their beauty, and the seas burst forth and become one sea, and the graves are overturned and cast forth what they contain of the dead, and they are gathered for the standing before Allah,
when He will requite them for their deeds, at that time the reality of things will be uncovered and what was hidden will be disclosed; every soul will know what it has gained or lost.
There the wrongdoer will bite on his hands, when he sees that his deeds are invalid and his scale is light, and that his wrongdoings are piled up against him and his evil deeds have been presented to him. He will become certain of eternal doom and everlasting punishment.
There the pious – who sent forth righteous deeds – will attain great triumph and eternal bliss, and they will be safe from the punishment of hell.
Then Allah says, rebuking the human who falls short in his duty towards his Lord and does that which incurs His wrath:
O man, what has deceived you concerning your Most Generous Lord, is it because you are heedless of your duty towards him? Or because you think little of His punishment? Or because you do not believe in His requital?
Is He not the One Who created you, fashioned you)? in the best shape and made you well-proportioned), assembling you in a shape that is well balanced, the best shape and figure?
Is it appropriate for you to be ungrateful for the blessings bestowed by your Lord, or to deny His kindness?
That can only stem from your ignorance, wrongdoing, stubbornness and foolishness.
So praise Allah for not giving you the shape of a dog or a donkey, or other similar animals.
Hence Allah says: assembling you in whatever form He willed.
Nay, but you deny the Last Judgement that is, despite this exhortation and reminder, you still persist in denying the requital.
But you will inevitably be brought to account for your deeds, for Allah has appointed over you noble angels who record your words and deeds, and they know all that you do.
This includes both actions of the heart (beliefs, thoughts and emotions) and physical actions.
So what is appropriate on your part is to honour them and respect them.
What is meant by the righteous is those who fulfil their duties towards Allah and towards other people, who adhere to righteousness in beliefs and thoughts, and in physical actions.
Their reward will be mental, spiritual and physical bliss, in this world, in al-barzakh and in the abode of eternity.
And verily the wicked who fall short in their duties towards Allah and towards other people, whose hearts are filled with evil, resulting in evil deeds, will be in the blazing fire that is, they will have a painful punishment in this world, in al-barzakh and in the abode of eternity.
Which they will enter and be severely punished therein on the Day of Judgement that is, the day of requital for deeds.
And will never leave; rather they will remain therein and never depart from it.
And how could you know what the Day of Judgement is?
Again, how could you know what the Day of Judgement is?
This demonstrates the enormity of that terrifying day.
It is the day when no soul will have the power to do anything for another, even if he is a relative or a sincerely loved one.
Each person will be preoccupied with his own self and will not seek salvation for anyone else.
And on that day all command will belong to Allah alonejj for it is He Who will judge between all people and settle the score of the one who was wronged with the one who wronged him.
And Allah knows best.
This is the end of the commentary on Soorat al-Infitar.
All praise and thanks are for Allah, and may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, and his Companions abundantly until the Day of Judgement.