Here is Surah Yunus ayat 41 42 Arabic text, transliteration and meaning. Verse 41 is the command to be Free and Clear from the Idolators. Verse 42 shows how some people listen to beautiful talk of prophet SAW and to the Glorious Qur’an.
They listen to his truthful, eloquent and authentic Hadiths that are useful to the hearts, the bodies and their faith. This is indeed a great benefit and is sufficient. But guiding the people to the truth is not up to you or to them. You cannot make the deaf hear. Therefore you cannot guide these people except if Allah wishes.
Surah Yunus Ayat 41-42 In Arabic Text
- وَإِن كَذَّبُوكَ فَقُل لِّى عَمَلِى وَلَكُمۡ عَمَلُكُمۡۖ أَنتُم بَرِيٓئُونَ مِمَّآ أَعۡمَلُ وَأَنَا۠ بَرِىٓءٌ مِّمَّا تَعۡمَلُونَ.
- وَمِنۡهُم مَّن يَسۡتَمِعُونَ إِلَيۡكَۚ أَفَأَنتَ تُسۡمِعُ ٱلصُّمَّ وَلَوۡ كَانُواْ لَا يَعۡقِلُونَ
- Wa in kazzabooka faqul lee ‘amalee wa lakum ‘amalukum antum bareee’oona mimmaaa a’malu wa ana bareee’um mimmaa ta’maloon.
- Wa minhum mai yastami’oona iliak; afa anta tusmi’us summa wa law kaanoo laa ya’qiloon.
Surah Yunus Ayat 41 42 English Translation
Here you can read various translations of Surah Yunus, verse 41 and 42.
- And if they deny you, [O Muhammad], then say, “For me are my deeds, and for you are your deeds. You are disassociated from what I do, and I am disassociated from what you do.”
- And among them are those who listen to you. But can you cause the deaf to hear, although they will not use reason?
- If they charge thee with falsehood, say: “My work to me, and yours to you! ye are free from responsibility for what I do, and I for what ye do!”
- Among them are some who (pretend to) listen to thee: But canst thou make the deaf to hear,- even though they are without understanding?
Abul Ala Maududi
- And if they reject you as false, tell them: ‘My deeds are for myself and your deeds for yourselves. You will not be held responsible for my deeds, nor I for your deeds.
- Of them some seem to give heed to you; will you, then, make the deaf hear even though they understand nothing?
- And if they belie you, say: “For me are my deeds and for you are your deeds! You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do!”
- And among them are some who listen to you, but can you make the deaf to hear, even though they apprehend not?
- And if they deny thee, say: Unto me my work, and unto you your work. Ye are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what ye do.
- And of them are some who listen unto thee. But canst thou make the deaf to hear even though they apprehend not?
- And in case they cry lies to you, then say, “To me is my doing, and to you is your doing. You are quit of what I do, and I am quit of whatever you do.”
- And of them are the ones who listen to you; will you then make the deaf to hear (even) if they do not consider?.
- If they do not believe you, [Prophet], say, ‘I act for myself, and you for yourselves. You are not responsible for my actions nor am I responsible for yours.’
- Some of them do listen to you: but can you make the deaf hear if they will not use their minds?
Surah Yunus Ayat 41-42 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Yunus ayat 41 and 42, we’ve provided the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi.
And if they reject you as false, tell them: ‘My deeds are for myself and your deeds for yourselves. You will not be held responsible for my deeds, nor I for your deeds.
This is to say, I don’t want to enter into useless discussions and disputes with you on this score. If I am an impostor, I alone shall bear the consequences for it; and if you are rejecting the truth, you are not doing any harm to me but only to yourselves.
Of them some seem to give heed to you; will you, then, make the deaf hear even though they understand nothing?
Though this and the succeeding verse have been addressed to the Prophet (peace be upon him), these are meant to reprove those people who were not paying attention to the Message.
For they only heard the sounds of the words he spoke to them, just as the animals hear the sound of the words, but pay no attention to understand what is said to them.
This was because they were prejudiced against him and had already decided that they would not acknowledge anything, however, reasonable that may be, if it went against the creeds and ways they had inherited, and against their own desires, lusts, and interests.
Likewise those people who live like animals hear the sounds of his words, but pay no attention to their meaning for they are not interested in anything other than eating, drinking and making merry.
They are so engaged in and intoxicated with the gratification of their lusts that they never bother to find out whether what they are doing is right or wrong. All such people are deaf to the Message, though they might have ears for other things.