Surah Talaq which titled divorce in English is a Madina surah and 65 chapter in the Quran. The surah talks about divorce and divorced women.
Surah talaq ayat 2 and 3 focus on Ordaining Kindness towards Divorced Women and importance of taqwa. Allah provides, suffices, and makes a Way out of Every Hardship for Those Who have Taqwa.
Surah Talaq Ayat 2 And 3 In Arabic
- فَإِذَا بَلَغْنَ أَجَلَهُنَّ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ فَارِقُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ وَأَشْهِدُوا ذَوَيْ عَدْلٍ مِنْكُمْ وَأَقِيمُوا الشَّهَادَةَ لِلَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكُمْ يُوعَظُ بِهِ مَنْ كَانَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مَخْرَجًا.
- وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ ۚ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا
- Fa izaa balaghna ajalahunna fa amsikoohunna bima’roofin aw faariqoohunna bima’roofinw wa ashhidoo zawai ‘adlim minkum wa aqeemush shahaadata lillaah; zaalikum yoo’azu bihee man kaana yu’minu billaahi wal yawmil aakhir; wa many yattaqil laaha yaj’al lahoo makhrajaa.
- Wa yarzuqhu min haisu laa yahtasib; wa many yatawakkal ‘alal laahi fahuwa hasbuh; innal laaha baalighu amrih; qad ja’alal laahu likulli shai’in qadraa
Surah Talaq Ayat 2 And 3 Translation In English
- When they have approached [the end of] their waiting periods, either retain them on equitable terms or part with them on equitable terms. Call to witness two just men from among you, and give honest testimony for the sake of Allah. This is an exhortation for those who believe in Allah and the Last Day. Whoever fears Allah, He will grant him a way out [from difficulty],
- And will provide for him from where he does not expect. Whoever puts his trust in Allah, He will suffice him. Allah will surely attain His purpose. Allah has set a measure [and appointed term] for all things.
Commentary Of These Two Verses From Tafseer As Sa’di
When they have approached [the end of] their waiting periods that is, when the end of the waiting period approaches.
Once the waiting period is over, the husband no longer has the choice between keeping his wife or separating from her.
either retain them on equitable terms that is, on a basis of kind treatment and good companionship, not by way of causing harm, harsh treatment and not letting her get on with her life. Keeping her with such ill intentions is not permissible.
or part with them on equitable terms that is, a separation in which there is nothing contrary to Islamic teachings, and without trading insults, arguing, or mistreating the wife in order to force her to give up some of her wealth.
Call to witness the divorce or the taking back of the wife two just men from among you that is, two Muslim men of good character, because this calling to witness closes the door to dispute and prevents either of them concealing that which he should disclose.
And, O witnesses, give honest testimony for the sake of Allah that is, give proper testimony, as it should be given, without adding or subtracting anything, and by giving it seek the pleasure of Allah alone;
Do not pay any attention when giving testimony to any relative because of your ties with him or to any friend because of your love for him.
(This) that We have mentioned to you of rulings and limits is an exhortation for those who believe in Allah and the Last Day, for whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, that would lead him to pay heed to the exhortations of Allah and give precedence to the hereafter by doing righteous deeds as much as he can.
That is in contrast to the one whose heart is devoid of faith, for he would not care about whatever he commits of evil deeds, or about paying heed to the exhortations of Allah, because there is nothing to motivate him to do so.
Because divorce may lead to anxiety, distress and grief, Allah enjoins people to fear Him, and tells us that whoever fears Him with regard to divorce and other matters, Allah will grant him relief and a way out from difficulty.
If a person wants to divorce his wife, and does it in the proper manner, by issuing a single divorce when she is not menstruating, and not during a period of purity in which he has had intercourse with her, Allah will not put him through difficulty;
Rather Allah will grant him a way out from difficulty and gives him room to resume the marriage if he regrets having issued the divorce.
Although the context of this verse has to do with divorce and taking back the wife, it is more general in meaning:
whoever fears Allah (Me) and constantly seeks His pleasure in all his affairs, Allah will reward him in this world and the hereafter.
Part of that reward is that Allah will grant him relief and a way out from all difficulties and hardship.
Just as whoever fears Allah, He will grant him relief and a way out, by the same token, whoever does not fear Allah will face difficulties, obstacles and troubles that he cannot find a way out of or escape the consequences thereof.
This is also applicable to divorce. If a person does not fear Allah with regard to it, and issues a divorce in a prohibited manner, such as issuing the threefold divorce and the like, he will inevitably come to regret it and will not be able to escape the negative consequences thereof.
And will provide for him from where he does not expect. Allah will bestow provision upon the one who fears Him, from where he does not expect it.
Whoever puts his trust in Allah with regard to his spiritual and worldly affairs, by relying on Allah to bring him that which will benefit him and ward off that which will harm him, and trusting Him to make that easy for him,
He will suffice him that is, with regard to the matter concerning which he put his trust in Him.
When the matter is in the care of the Self-Sufficient, the Most Strong, the Almighty, the Most Merciful, He is closer to the individual than anything else.
But divine wisdom may dictate that it be delayed until the appropriate time.
Hence Allah says: (Allah will surely attain His purpose) that is, His will and decree will inevitably be done.
But if Allah has set a measure [and appointed term] for all things that is, He has set a time and a measure, and matters will not go beyond that or fall short of it.