It is worth noting that wudu (ablution) is one of the important acts of worship. In Islam, without proper ablution, there is no valid prayer.
Wudu Verse In Quran
The verse of Quran that talks about wudu is verse 6 in surah Al Ma’idah, the fifth chapter in the Quran.
Ablution Verse In Quran In Arabic Text
- يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ إِذَا قُمۡتُمۡ إِلَى ٱلصَّلَوٰةِ فَٱغۡسِلُواْ وُجُوهَكُمۡ وَأَيۡدِيَكُمۡ إِلَى ٱلۡمَرَافِقِ وَٱمۡسَحُواْ بِرُءُوسِكُمۡ وَأَرۡجُلَكُمۡ إِلَى ٱلۡكَعۡبَيۡنِۚ وَإِن كُنتُمۡ جُنُبًا فَٱطَّهَّرُواْۚ وَإِن كُنتُم مَّرۡضَىٰٓ أَوۡ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ أَوۡ جَآءَ أَحَدٌ مِّنكُم مِّنَ ٱلۡغَآئِطِ أَوۡ لَٰمَسۡتُمُ ٱلنِّسَآءَ فَلَمۡ تَجِدُواْ مَآءً فَتَيَمَّمُواْ صَعِيدًا طَيِّبًا فَٱمۡسَحُواْ بِوُجُوهِكُمۡ وَأَيۡدِيكُم مِّنۡهُۚ مَا يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ لِيَجۡعَلَ عَلَيۡكُم مِّنۡ حَرَجٍ وَلَٰكِن يُرِيدُ لِيُطَهِّرَكُمۡ وَلِيُتِمَّ نِعۡمَتَهُۥ عَلَيۡكُمۡ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَشۡكُرُونَ.
English Translation Of Wudu Verse In Quran
- O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salât (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janâba, purify yourselves (bathe your whole body).
- But if you are ill or on a journey, or any of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women, and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allâh does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful.
The Order to Perform Wudu
Allah commanded performing Wudu for the prayer. This is a command of obligation in the case of impurity, and in the case of purity, it is merely a recommendation.
It was said that in the beginning of Islam, Muslims had to perform Wudu for every prayer, but later on, this ruling was abrogated.
Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal recorded that Sulayman bin Buraydah said that his father said,
“The Prophet used to perform Wudu before every prayer. On the Day of Victory, he performed Wudu and wiped on his Khuffs and prayed the five prayers with one Wudu.
Umar said to him, `O Messenger of Allah! You did something new that you never did before.’
The Prophet said,`I did that intentionally O Umar!”‘
Muslim and the collectors of the Sunan also recorded this Hadith.
The obligation for the intention before Wudu is proven by this Ayah;
(When you stand (intend) to offer the Salah then wash your faces…). This is because it is just like the Arabs saying; “When you see the leader, then stand.”
It is also recommended before washing the face that one mentions Allah’s Name for the Wudu.
A Hadith that was narrated by several Companions states that the Prophet said, There is no Wudu for he who does not mention Allah’s Name over it.
It is also recommended that one washes his hands before he puts his hands in the vessel of water, especially after one wakes up from sleep, for the Two Sahihs recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,
If one of you wakes up from his sleep, let him not put his hand in the pot until he washes it thrice, for one of you does not know where his hand spent the night.
The face according to the scholars of Fiqh starts where the hair line on the head starts, regardless of one’s lack or abundance of hair, until the end of the cheeks and chin, and from ear to ear.
Passing the Fingers through the Beard While Performing Wudu
Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Wa’il said,
“I saw Uthman when he was performing Wudu… When he washed his face, he passed his fingers through his beard three times. He said, `I saw the Messenger of Allah do what you saw me doing.”‘
At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah also recorded this Hadith.
How to Perform Wudu
Imam Ahmad recorded that;
- Ibn Abbas once performed Wudu and took a handful of water and rinsed his mouth and nose with it.
- He took another handful of water and joined both hands and washed his face.
- He took another handful of water and washed his right hand, and another handful and washed his left hand with it.
- He next wiped his head.
- Next, he took a handful of water and sprinkled it on his right foot and washed it and took another handful of water and washed his left foot. When he finished, he said,
“This is how I saw the Messenger of Allah (performing Wudu).”
Al-Bukhari also recorded it.
It is recommended that those who perform Wudu should wash a part of the upper arm with the elbow.
Al-Bukhari and Muslim recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,
On the Day of Resurrection, my Ummah will be called “those with the radiant appendages” because of the traces of Wudu. Therefore, whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so.
Muslim recorded that Abu Hurayrah said, “I heard my intimate friend (the Messenger) saying, The radiance of the believer reaches the areas that the water of (his) Wudu reaches.”
Supplicating to Allah after Wudu
The Sunnah encourages supplicating to Allah after Wudu and states that those who do so are among those who seek to purify themselves, as the Ayah above states.
Imam Ahmad, Muslim and the collectors of Sunan narrated that Uqbah bin `Amir said,
“We were on watch, guarding camels, and when my turn to guard came, I took the camels back at night. I found that the Messenger of Allah was giving a speech to the people. I heard these words from that speech:
Any Muslim who performs Wudu properly, then stands up and prays a two Rak`ah prayer with full attention in his heart and face, will earn Paradise.
What a good statement this is!' A person who was close by said,The statement he said before it is even better.’ When I looked, I found that it was Umar, who said, `I saw that you just came.
The Prophet said,
When any of you performs Wudu properly and says, `I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger’, the eight doors of Paradise will be opened for him so that he can enter from any door he wishes.”
This is the wording collected by Muslim.
The Virtue of Wudu
Muslim recorded that Abu Malik Al-Ashari said that the Messenger of Allah said,
Purity is half of faith and Al-Hamdu Lillah (all the thanks are due to Allah) fills the Mizan (the Scale). And Subhan Allah and Allahu Akbar (all praise is due to Allah, and Allah is the Most Great) fills what is between the heaven and earth.
As-Sawm (the fast) is a Junnah (a shield), Sabr (patience) is a light, Sadaqah (charity) is evidence (of faith) and the Qur’an is proof for, or against you.
Every person goes out in the morning and ends up selling himself, he either frees his soul or destroys it.
Summary Of Steps For Wudu
- Start with the right niyyah (intention), say Bismillah.
- Washing hands three times, begin with right hand.
- Wash mouth three times.
- Rinse nose three time.
- Wash face three times.
- Wash arms three times, begin with right arm from fingertips to just above elbow.
- Wipe head once and clean ears once.
- Wash feet, begin with right foot from tip of toenail to just above ankle.