Are you a Muslim who enjoys chewing gum? Well, have you ever wondered if your favorite Juicy Fruit gum is halal?
So, is Juicy Fruit Gum Halal? In this blog post, we will explore the question of whether Juicy Fruit gum is halal or not. So, buckle up, and let’s dive into this juicy topic!
Is Juicy Fruit Gum Halal?
Yes, juicy fruit gum is considered halal. Juicy fruit gum is made with ingredients sourced from organic and natural ingredients, which include: Sugar, Gum Base, Corn syrup, and Natural And Artificial Flavors. All the ingredients are considered halal friendly. There is no animal-based ingredient used in this gum.
The Ingredients in Juicy Fruit Gum
Here’s the exact ingredients list of the original Juicy fruit gum variety. You will find the break down of each of these ingredients:
- Gum base
- Corn syrup
- Natural and artificial flavors
- Soy lecithin
- Citric acid
- Malic acid
- Acesulfame K
- BHT (to maintain freshness)
We briefly discuss about which are 100% halal-friendly and which ones are questionable according to Islamic eating standards. Let’s take a look!
- Sugar: Sugar is the main ingredient in juicy fruit gum and it is considered 100% halal.
- Gum base: The exact composition of gum base is not disclosed, but it is generally considered halal unless it contains any non-halal ingredients.
- Corn syrup: Corn syrup is another ingredient in juicy fruit gum. It’s another naturally-derived sweetener that’s extracted from natural sugars present in corn. It’s also very halal-friendly.
- Natural and artificial flavors: These flavors can be derived from a variety of sources, including plants and animals, and they are considered halal.
- Soy lecithin: Soy lecithin is halal.
- Citric acid: Citric acid is also halal.
- Malic acid: Malic acid is halal as it is usually derived from plant sources.
- Aspartame: Aspartame is halal as it is a synthetic compound.
- Acesulfame K: Acesulfame K is halal as it is a synthetic compound.
- BHT: BHT is halal as it is a synthetic compound.
The Halal Certification of Juicy Fruit Gum
To find out for sure whether Juicy Fruit gum is halal or not, we can look for halal certification.
Halal certification is a process by which an independent certification body verifies that a product meets halal requirements.
In the case of Juicy Fruit gum, we can see that the product does not have a halal certification from a reputable organization.
So, Does That Mean Juicy Fruit Gum is Not Halal?
Not necessarily. It’s important to note that the lack of halal certification doesn’t necessarily mean a product is not halal.
In some cases, a product may be halal but not have gone through the certification process for various reasons.
In the case of Juicy Fruit gum, the lack of halal certification could simply mean that the company hasn’t pursued it.
According to halallife.co.uk, The following products are Halal:
- Juicy Fruit America Pop
- Juicy Fruit Original
- Juicy Fruit Sour Green Apple
- Juicy Fruit Grape
- Juicy Fruit Strawberry
- Juicy Fruit Watermelon
- Juicy Fruit Starburst Cherry
- Juicy Fruit Starburst Fruit Punch
- Juicy Fruit Starburst Strawberry
- Juicy Fruit Starburst Watermelon
The general principle with regard to foods is that they are permissible, and nothing is haram except that for which there is evidence that it is haram and should not be eaten.
Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 6 Surah Anaam verse 145:
Say, “I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine – for indeed, it is impure – or it be [that slaughtered in] disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah.Quran chapter 6 verse 145
Provided the ingredients used to make the Mentos are not specifically declared haraam by Allah and His Messenger (SAW), the whipped topping would be absolutely halal for the believers to consume as food.
Sheikh Uthaimeen said that the basic principle concerning all foods and drinks and clothing is that they are permissible, unless it is proven that they are haraam, because Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):
“He it is Who created for you all that is on earth. Then He rose over (Istawa) towards the heaven and made them seven heavens and He is the All-Knower of everything”Surah al-Baqarah 2:29
In conclusion, the question of whether Juicy Fruit gum is halal or not is still up for debate.
While the product doesn’t have halal certification, it’s clear that the ingredients or manufacturing process make it halal.
As a Muslim consumer, it’s important to be cautious and do your research before consuming any product.